Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

A short (not really) update on what's been going on.

I haven't been posting much the past week due to the start of NaNoWriMo. I'm doing really well so far, but it doesn't leave much time for blogging I'm afraid. I've finished five chapters so far, totaling at a little over 12k words in the draft. This is by far the longest I have ever written and keeping on track every day is difficult. Thankfully with the push of friends, and small pushes from family to get my writing done every day I think I should be able to finish this marathon.

After a small bit of math I'm 24% finished with the word count, and by that means I'm on track for the end of week one, needing only 360 words to make 25%. I of course won't stop with only 360 words today, I feel that if I want to finish this thing I should do my best to get ahead while I can and plan on meeting, if not exceeding the 1,667 daily word goal.

As far as outlined chapters go I'm 33% there, meaning I may need to back track sometime in the future and add more words as I go along, but being as some chapters are bound to be longer than others I'm not exceptionally worried.

I also have a plan for after I finish Nano this year. I don't want to fully commit to the plan just yet, because I need to actually win Nano for it to work.

Here's what I'm planning on doing. I want to finish Nano, take about a week off of writing completely, no revision, no looking at my novel, no thinking about the next one. None of that. Maybe read a book over the next week, or get caught up on projects I will have procrastinated on during this marathon of a writing event. (On that note I will most definitely work on the items people won in my giveaway that ended on Halloween. It would be a great chance to get that done, as well as list some items in my shop.)

After my week of rest and recuperation from writing, which I'm sure will be much needed, I will begin writing another novel, hopefully finishing it on the same timeline as I did my Nano novel. By this time I will have two unedited novels and will be in need of rest once more. After another week of rest I'll pick up my Nano novel and begin to edit it. It should be out of my mind as much as it could possibly be by then, with the new novel being in my head so thoroughly.

After my first edit of the Nano novel, I'll edit the second. And then begin the editing process again. I plan on personally editing both novels three times in total and then looking for people to go over them once (or even twice) more before sending them to several publishing houses.

By this time it will no longer be a Nano novel in my mind, as the Nano novel is an unedited word dump of a book, and this will be a fully edited creation, and in my mind a masterpiece (or at least as close to one as I can achieve right now.)

I have a dream of becoming traditionally published, but of course if all else fails and I'm rejected at every turn I'll self publish in the end. Just having the fully edited manuscripts bound and in book form would give me more pride, and sense of accomplishment than I believe I ever have felt before.

At this time I'll take the rest of the time off writing and merely brainstorm my next until Nano starts again. Hopefully a little more prepared this time, a little bit better of an outline, characters more fleshed out before beginning. A clear picture of plot more than three days before the beginning of writing.

I also hope to be a liaison next year. My home region is without any liaison at all and I find this troubling. We won't have any official goodies and that upsets me, and I fear it may throw people off from wanting to attempt this fun, yet exhausting, exercise.

I believe I'm finished rambling for now, Stay tuned for more ramblings in the future. Hopefully I'll update this blog more than once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment